Thursday, February 12, 2009

So, as some of you may know, I used to write quite a bit. I have not written much in the past few years, but am starting to get back into the swing of things. Here are the first 2 poems I wrote after 3 years of absolutely nothing! Nicole...you will understand that 3 years is a long time! The first one is for my daughter and the second one is about my brother and his accident.


12/3/08

“Gracie”

I gaze at your silhouette
As you calmly sleep,
Thinking about the day you emerged
Erasing an agonizing past.
I’m in awe of who you’ve become,
A delicate, precious soul
With a magnetic personality and ambitious dreams.
I want for you to capture your aspirations and desires,
Confront your struggles,
And sweep your fears aside.
Become the beautiful ballerina
Who you’re so determined to be.
Society’s rules won’t break you down
(as they did me)
You have the power, strength, and passion
To embrace life head on
And live out your graceful song


12/3/08

“Matt”

The moment that forever altered your life
Became the call that transformed mine

Then there was the interlude between time
Before, “paralyzed” came to mind
Waiting to hear what the outcome would be
Not knowing you would turn bleak
Into promising
I won’t ignorantly say that I can comprehend
The trauma and pain which played out for days,
But I could almost taste the tears that rolled from your eyes
As only once, I saw you cry.
I wondered why
It was you not me,
I was the one who always acted carelessly.
Perseverance and tenacity
Appeared to be stimulated
With the breaking of nerves,
You spread closeness throughout our family
Which had never been heard
You have turned a weakness into a strength
Breathing, existing, surviving,
Maintaining, improving,
Evolving, inspiring
Motivating me to better myself
As I watch you flourish and thrive
Turning this puzzle, this mystery
Into a significant life.

No comments:

Post a Comment